no functioning LED on Samsung 530U3C/530U4C/532U3C

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
potuz

no functioning LED on Samsung 530U3C/530U4C/532U3C

Post by potuz »

In short: I am wandering if someone here has his/her LEDs functioning on a similar system and thus it would be a problem with setup or if it's a general problem with linux.

I am running

Code: Select all

# uname -a 
Linux birra 3.14.14-gentoo #3 SMP Wed Dec 17 18:23:41 BRST 2014 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

# dmidecode | grep -A2 "System Information" 
System Information
	Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
	Product Name: 530U3C/530U4C/532U3C
none of the four leds in front of the laptop lights up (HDD, battery, power, wifi). The wifi card is

# lspci -s 01:00.0
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 (rev 24)
ran by iwlwifi. In principle it could be something about /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/led_mode but since none of the other leds work (for example when in S3 I would expect the power LED to "breathe" or pulse) I guess this is not a iwlwifi issue.

This laptop is one of the affected ones by the nasty UEFI bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1040557
However, I am booting in UEFI mode and the samsung-laptop module is thus disabled by the lines of code there:

if (efi_enabled(EFI_BOOT))
                return -ENODEV;
I can only see

# ls /sys/class/leds/
phy0-led
And several efivars in /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

Any help as to where I should start looking for info on these LEDs will be appreciated. Even a hint as to whether I should treat these as separate issues or just one affecting all LEDs, I'm more inclined to think that there's something wrong with (say) my ACPI implementation or something similar (like the lpc_ich module driving the HM76 PCH that should be responsible for the SATA led), than expecting the coincidence that iwlwifi is not handling correctly the wifi LED and ACPI is not handling correctly the battery one.