HOWTO: Update the BIOS/MICOM using DOS

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
voRia
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HOWTO: Update the BIOS/MICOM using DOS

Postby voRia » 23/02/2010, 17:27

Well, the phlash utility is *relatively* safe, it performs some checks first, then it flash the new bios.
Anyway, I don't see any other method for updating the BIOS on X120 but using the official samsung updater.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!

jakeybob
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jakeybob » 07/03/2010, 20:54

Hi,

I'm running Xubuntu 9.04 on an N110, and am trying to update the BIOS (currently 02D0).

So, I have a couple of (hopefully easy to answer) questions:

1) now that I have a bootable DOS usb-key (thanks for that image by the way, every other FreeDOS style setup I've tried has thrown up op-code errors!) and the DOS executable "11CA07D0.EXE" from the samsungpc.com website, can I just boot into a DOS prompt and run that executable; or do I have to use the method described here, i.e. using the extracted files (****B.WPH, ****M.BIN etc...) and running UPBIOS and UPMICOM?

2) if the latter method has to be used, is it ok to use the files for the NC10, contained in "11CA_dos.zip" even though I'm using an N110?

Any help/advice appreciated!

Bob

voRia
Administrator
Administrator

Postby voRia » 07/03/2010, 21:47

Hello :)
jakeybob wrote:1) now that I have a bootable DOS usb-key (thanks for that image by the way, every other FreeDOS style setup I've tried has thrown up op-code errors!) and the DOS executable "11CA07D0.EXE" from the samsungpc.com website, can I just boot into a DOS prompt and run that executable; or do I have to use the method described here, i.e. using the extracted files (****B.WPH, ****M.BIN etc...) and running UPBIOS and UPMICOM?
Yes, you can use directly the official samsung updater for DOS.
jakeybob wrote:2) if the latter method has to be used, is it ok to use the files for the NC10, contained in "11CA_dos.zip" even though I'm using an N110?
No, those files are for NC10 only. Anyway, just go with the official samsung updater. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!

jakeybob
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jakeybob » 07/03/2010, 22:23

Yes, you can use directly the official samsung updater for DOS.

This worked perfectly; BIOS/MICOM updated, and the brightness up/down hotkeys now function exactly as they should.

Many thanks for the swift reply and hard work!

ishnid

Postby ishnid » 03/05/2010, 12:18

These instructions worked for me too without a hitch. Thanks very much, this is a great resource.

b1tk0pf

Postby b1tk0pf » 29/05/2010, 10:16

Hi,

works fine. Thanx a lot!
However during the procedure i ran into the same problems like freDonWeb:
When I do it, my USB key disappear and I can not mount it a second time.
If I do a "mount -v", I do not see my key.

My fault was that i chose "/dev/sdb1" instead of "/dev/sdb" when using the dd-command.

-iGoR-

Postby -iGoR- » 13/07/2010, 21:37

Just registerd to say thank you! This HOWTO is much appriciated.
every other FreeDOS style setup I've tried has thrown up op-code errors!
Had exactly same problems as jakeybob.
However during the procedure i ran into the same problems like freDonWeb:
When I do it, my USB key disappear and I can not mount it a second time.
If I do a "mount -v", I do not see my key.
My fault was that i chose "/dev/sdb1" instead of "/dev/sdb" when using the dd-command.
Thanks for this tip too! Not yet that used to linux that couldn't have figured this out.

gegewali

Postby gegewali » 10/08/2010, 6:32

How can I flash the bios to my old dell pc to overclock? I have an old dell pc sitting around and I want to have some fun. Its a Pentium 3, with floppy, and stock parts and well, old, lol. Im not computer illiterate, just bios flashing illiterate. I know that dell locks all overclocking options. So is there a bios that is compatible with this dell mobo that will work on it?

krides

Postby krides » 15/09/2010, 8:40

I'm sorry but I can't find the "link below" to download the image. Where is it exactly?

UPD. I have found it. Sorry for the silly question above.

krides

Postby krides » 15/09/2010, 9:54

I managed to update BIOS and now all Fn buttons work just perfectly. However, I keep getting this capacity error while trying to update MICOM. My question is do I need to update it at all and if yes, how do I overcome this capacity limitation?

Return to “Linux On My Samsung”