NC10 is very slow

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
micha

NC10 is very slow

Post by micha »

Hello again!

Since a while (don't know since when) my Netbook NC10 is very slow. It takes 20 or 30 seconds to open a window or to start a program like gedit.

That's annoying!

Do you know, how to help me?

Micha
micha

Re: NC10 is very slow

Post by micha »

micha wrote:It takes 20 or 30 seconds to open a window or to start a program like gedit.
Working with the programs seems to be normal - once the the window is open. But opening another (sub-)window takes very long...

And there is another curious problem: Sometimes all windows comes in front - one after the other - very quickly. So the desktop "blinks". I can stop it by minimize the windows.

I think, I have this problem since I installed the nc10 repository, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks for helping me!

Micha
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Some users have reported similar problems using the 'gnome-power-manager' package from my repository. I have not investigated the problem yet, so I can't tell you if it is the real cause of these behaviours.

Anyway, try by downgrading the 'gnome-power-manager' package to the official ubuntu version (you can do it through the Synaptic Package Manager: select the package, press Ctrl-E, then select the version you want to install).

Test this solution for a while, then please let me know the results.
If you confirm that the gpm from my repository was the cause, I'll definitely remove it.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
micha

Post by micha »

voRia wrote:Test this solution for a while, then please let me know the results.
If you confirm that the gpm from my repository was the cause, I'll definitely remove it.
The computer is also slow, even if your power-manger is deactivated. The flickering effect comes only sometimes an now I'm using your package again... Perhaps it is another problem - but I don't know where to search...

Micha
micha

Post by micha »

I have found and solved the problem. It was the program maximus from ubuntu netbook remix. Since I deactivated it, ubuntu is much faster...

Micha