Let's add support to other Samsung netbooks

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Let's add support to other Samsung netbooks

Post by voria »

Q210/P210 is already supported. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
FtPorter

Post by FtPorter »

Could you add support for the Samsung R505?

I'm running it under UBUNTU Linux 10.04 / With UBUNTU Studio Templates , and only a few of the special keys seem to work (Volume etc), but most of them not.

Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work!

Kind Regards

FtPorter
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

In order to add support to your model, I need the output of the command:

Code: Select all

sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
FtPorter

Post by FtPorter »

Hi VoRia,

R505 was the line in the terminal window. not more :o(

But i know that this type R505 is called:

Samsung R505-Aura Domah WXGA Notebook (AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-62 2,0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470, DVD+- DL RW)

I hope in this case you have all relevant informations to add this Type in your script?

I use the last kernel-uptdate from Week 44 - 2010

Kind Regards

FtPorter
FtPorter

Post by FtPorter »

Hi voRia,

you need more informations?

Kind Regards

FtPorter
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

No, I just need more free time. ;)

I've just updated udev packages on the repository with new models for both Ubuntu Lucid and Maverick.
Nimmo

Post by Nimmo »

voRia wrote:In order to add support to your model, I need the output of the command:

sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
Hi Voria, I am using the Samsung N350 and get the following when I run the provided command:

N350
I have been having issues with the keyboard being disabled whenever I try to use any of the FN+ key combinations.

In order to recover from this, I need to restart Gnome. Other than that, all is looking good.
Nimmo

Post by Nimmo »

I can't seem to spot a method to edit my post, so, apologies for the double-post...

Just throwing it out there for others who may be having issues with the keyboard locking out and looking in here to get added support.

This thread got me up and running perfectly with my FN keys working and the keyboard no longer locks itself up.

I was going to also ask if there was definitely 10.10 support, but I guess that since everything else is running perfectly fine for me, then it must be supported. (I think I am using the most up to date kernel as well, but not 100% certain, as I don't know what I am looking for when I run uname -a to confirm)
amerog

Post by amerog »

Hello

Thanks for all the work. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 (currently linux-headers-2.6.35-22-generic) on a Samsung N210:

$ sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
N150/N210/N220
From a fresh install, I did the following:

$sudo add-apt-repository ppa:voria/ppa
$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get upgrade
$sudo apt-get install samsung-backlight samsung-tools samsung-wireles
Seems that this computer is already covered in /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules :

ENV{DMI_VENDOR}=="[sS][aA][mM][sS][uU][nN][gG]*", ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="*E252*|*N120*|*N128*|*N130*|*N140*|*N148/N208*|*N148P/N208P/N218P/NB28P*|*N150*|*N150/N210/N220*|*N220*|*N308*|*N310*|*N510*|*NB30*|*NC10/N110*|*ND10*|*NF110/NF210/NF310*|*P580*|*Q210/P210*|*Q430/Q530*|*R410P*|*R420/R470*|*R425/R525*|*R428/P428*|*R460*|*R463*|*R468/R418*|*R480/R431/R481*|*R505*|*R509*|*R510/P510*|*R518*|*R519/R719*|*R520/R522/R620*|*R528/R728*|*R530/R730*|*R530/R730/P590*|*R560*|*R580*|*R580/R590*|*R59/R60/R61*|*R59P/R60P/R61P*|*R710*|*R720*|*R780/R778*|*RF510/RF410/RF710*|*SR58P*|*SR700*|*SR70S/SR71S*|*SX22S*|*X118*|*X120*|*X460*", RUN+="keyboard-force-release.sh $devpath samsung-other"
I added the following to /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules

ENV{DMI_VENDOR}=="[sS][aA][mM][sS][uU][nN][gG]*", ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="N150/N210/N220", RUN+="keymap $name samsung-other"
although my understanding is that the new udev package should take care of it.

FN controls now work somehow (FN-F1 sleeps, but does not wake up with wireless; FN-F11 and FN-F12 do not seem to do anything visible, xev return false). Wireless almost always detected but rarely able to connect, and FN key does not release, to my surprise even after a complete Ubuntu install.

I am wondering what went wrong, and if there is a way to make Wifi work and FN release.

This is about the slowest message I have ever written :) The none-edited version is something closer to this:

Th5s 5s ab64t the s36west 0essage  have ever wr5tten -/ The n6n-ed5ted vers56n 5s s60eth5ng c36ser t6 th5s-
amerog

Post by amerog »

amerog wrote:I am wondering what went wrong, and if there is a way to make Wifi work and FN release.
Alright, now that I figured what FN-F11 actually does (ahem), the only thing that's left not-working is WiFi. I have installed samsung-wireless, can detect wireless, but cannot make a successful connection most of the time. Other devices connect to same WiFi network easily.
hawkeye9322

Post by hawkeye9322 »

amerog wrote:
amerog wrote:I am wondering what went wrong, and if there is a way to make Wifi work and FN release.
Alright, now that I figured what FN-F11 actually does (ahem), the only thing that's left not-working is WiFi. I have installed samsung-wireless, can detect wireless, but cannot make a successful connection most of the time. Other devices connect to same WiFi network easily.
Sorry if correct Ubuntu terminology is not used here, but am very new to the OS (less than 36 hours). I too have got a N210 now with Ubuntu 10.10 installed, and have followed amerog's post with the same degree of success and failure - ie wireless doesn't work.

After some playing and googling, it is now working.

On the desktop, I clicked the top left Ubuntu icon, and on the screen that opened, clicked the "Get New Apps" icon.
On the new screen that opens, I expanded the "Installed Software" node, and then selected the "PPA for Samsung Netbooks" node.
On the right pane, I discovered that there were two wireless "applications", one labelled "samsung-wireless" and the other labelled "samsung-wireless-2.6.35-22"

As amerog states that you do:

sudo apt-get install samsung-backlight samsung-tools samsung-wireless

I guessed that doing
sudo apt-get remove samsung-wireless
sudo apt-get remove samsung-wireless-2.6.35-22
sudo apt-get install samsung-wireless-2.6.35-22

then a restart of the machine might work.

Did that, machine started to negotiate the connection to the wireless network, asked for the WEP key, which I entered, and it connected, and has stayed connected.

Again, sorry if this is not the "approved" way of doing things in Ubuntu, but despite that, it has worked here, and I now have what appears to be a stable wireless connection
amerog

Post by amerog »

hawkeye9322 wrote:
I guessed that doing

Did that, machine started to negotiate the connection to the wireless network, asked for the WEP key, which I entered, and it connected, and has stayed connected.

Again, sorry if this is not the "approved" way of doing things in Ubuntu, but despite that, it has worked here, and I now have what appears to be a stable wireless connection
Thanks hawkeye9322 for tracing this with me. It seems that the problem has to do with WPA only. WEP and open networks have no trouble here too, except WEP is quite easy to crack, so it is useless to use anyway. Open is a good idea if have an unlimited bandwidth or can support your neighbour. I wish I could, but I also want to use this laptop in all situations, including when I am in a place with WPA.

I am guessing samsung-wireless is a 'generic' package that only points to the most recent version of Voria's kernel. No, Voria?
hawkeye9322

Post by hawkeye9322 »

amerog wrote:
hawkeye9322 wrote:
I guessed that doing

Thanks hawkeye9322 for tracing this with me. It seems that the problem has to do with WPA only. WEP and open networks have no trouble here too, except WEP is quite easy to crack, so it is useless to use anyway. Open is a good idea if have an unlimited bandwidth or can support your neighbour. I wish I could, but I also want to use this laptop in all situations, including when I am in a place with WPA.

I am guessing samsung-wireless is a 'generic' package that only points to the most recent version of Voria's kernel. No, Voria?
Aagh. Apologies. Ignore the bit about WEP key. I should have said WPA/WPA2.

I'll edit my original reply.....

(Except it doesn't appear that you can edit an earlier post.)
BigTubeOfKY

Post by BigTubeOfKY »

I have the same problem as the above posters with the Realtek 8192e on my Samsung N220. The hardware between our netbooks is pretty much the same, so I don't imagine there's much of a difference with our problems.

I've found a sloppy way to fix the problem, which is to manually unload/reload the network card's driver via modprobe. The following commands do that:

sudo modprobe -r r8192e_pci
sudo modprobe r8192e_pci
I find that after pasting these commands (sans sudo) into /etc/rc.local I can connect to my network within seconds of logging in. A bit of a messy fix, but it seems to work.

On another note, I just installed the newest driver to pop up in the repository; I'll post if it seems to be any better than the older ones.
BigTubeOfKY

Post by BigTubeOfKY »

Hmmm... Now that I've updated the drivers the rc.local trick doesn't seem to work anymore.

I can still get the driver to connect to my WPA network if I manually do the modprobe removal and restart.

Any ideas anyone?