Android 2.3 Gingerbread has been ported to x86 architecture (i.e. intel processor).
I successfully installed Android on to my Samsung NB30 Touch Screen NetBook (Atom N450 processor), succeeding on having the touchscreen working (really cool!).
Here what you have to do:
[ !!! BE CAREFULL !!! If you never installed an operating system onto a pc, please refrain to follow this procedure... it might very likely harm your pc and your data ]
- download the android iso image here:
- burn the image onto a cd through an external cd/dvd burner
(I'm an old fashioned I.T. professional, I still burn cd/dvd, but you can follow instructions to do it through a USB start up key)
- simply boot up the pc being sure that the primary peripheral on to the boot list is the external cd/dvd drive
- at the options screen you can choose whether to launch a live distro, or to install it on to the hard disk. Both of the options will do; the second one will of course destroy all the data and documents on to your pc
- once the installation procedure is finished, choose at the prompt the Reboot option (unplug the cd/dvd external drive, otherwise the installation will start againg & again & again & again)
- if everything went fine... Android should boot up
Please understand this is a very very brief guide.
In order to know more about installing Androids OS releases ported onto x86 architecture, please refer to the Android x86 official web page:
I chose the Tegav2 release because this way the touchscreen works fine (but unfortunately you won't be able to use the actual keyboard of the netbook). If you don't care about the touchscreen, just use instead the following release:
Note that during the installation procedure you can check other different options (such as creating a fake sd card... or enabling a write/read system) that I didn't mention here because seemingly don't work to me.
As far as I understood, only the wireless adapter is recognized... so don't try to use the ethernet card to connect onto the internet, because it won't work.
In order to know how Android works, please refer to the official web page:
Feel free to comment and to ask... I will answer as quickly as I can.
Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests