NC10 and skype

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
denis6902

NC10 and skype

Post by denis6902 »

Hey guys, im still having troubles with skype, when i make a call it works just fine for the first 10 secs, but then i cant hear the other person and i only hear noises, but other people reported that they can still hear me even though i only hear noises, is anyone having the same problems?

The audio device settings on skype are:

Sound IN: hw:intel,0
Sound OUt: hw:intel,0
Ringing: plughw:intel,0

I have also realise that the pc is also very slow, specially if more then 4 tabs are open in firefox, machine is just not handling jaunty somehow, it seems that it struggles lots to keep it up.

Time to put windows xp back?
wayeast
Supporter
Supporter

RE: NC10 and skype

Post by wayeast »

'denis6902' pid='1609' dateline='1247624734' wrote: Hey guys, im still having troubles with skype, when i make a call it works just fine for the first 10 secs, but then i cant hear the other person and i only hear noises, but other people reported that they can still hear me even though i only hear noises, is anyone having the same problems?

The audio device settings on skype are:

Sound IN: hw:intel,0
Sound OUt: hw:intel,0
Ringing: plughw:intel,0
I also had the same problem yesterday, but I thought it might have had something to do with skype out. Haven't yet tried a regular pc to pc call yet.

My sound settings are the same as denis, except that my ring setting is set to hw:intel,0. I am using the .28 kernel because I need my webcam.
zinaf

Post by zinaf »

After recent upgrade the alsa drivers must ahve changed. now the interface very different options. after this update i have not been able to make skype work. I have tried all possible combinations and changed all sorts of things in the alsa control panel but to no avail.
the worse thing is that I do not know how to revert to the previous version of alsa where it all worked fine with the following settings: hw:intel,0-pulse-pulse (I posted them in another thread just before the update stroke).
anyway if someone works it out would be uch appreaciate if they share.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Are you using the updated alsa modules from my repository?
Try to uninstall them with the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge alsa-modules*
then reboot and check if skype starts working again.

If so, your only option is to stay with the alsa modules shipped with the kernel (older and with incomplete support for the NC10 sound card), waiting for an updated skype (well, good luck on this).
Also, note that kernels >=2.6.31 ship with newer alsa modules, and probably skype will not work with them.

PS: Another good solution is to stop using skype and move to a free alternative :D
Last edited by voria on 15 Jul 2009, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
denis6902

Post by denis6902 »

'voRia' pid='1621' dateline='1247681692' wrote: Are you using the updated alsa modules from my repository?
Try to uninstall them with the command

sudo apt-get purge alsa-modules*
then reboot and check if skype starts working again.

If so, your only option is to stay with the alsa modules shipped with the kernel (older and with incomplete support for the NC10 sound card), waiting for an updated skype (well, good luck on this).
Also, note that kernels >=2.6.31 ship with newer alsa modules, and probably skype will not work with them.

PS: Another good solution is to stop using skype and move to a free alternative :D
thanks voria, im also using the kernel that workd with webcam, i will try removing the alsa-modules and i will get back here as soon as i have updates on that.

Yes using your repos for the updates :D

btw, dont hide the gold, whats the free alternative that works with sound and webcam?

also how can u set up the voice in AMSN? webcam is fine also alert sounds and stuff but not with audio calls, is amsn actually the best chat softy for the purpose?

greatings to all!

Last edited by denis6902 on 16 Jul 2009, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
denis6902

Post by denis6902 »

nothing guys, didnt work mic is doesnt work!

can someone help me how to make that recovery dvd bootable on USB?

i made a .iso file with power dvd, then i used UNETBOOTIN to mount image to usb, changed bios to boot from USB first and i dont get anything :(

Should i just copy and paste from dvd to the usb stick?

Im going to put XP back to see if i like it, otherwise i will pass this netbook on, and get and year older laptop, i guess im too used to my workstation desktop and i cant get used to this slow thingy.
denis6902

Post by denis6902 »

?????????????????????????
zinaf

Post by zinaf »

hello good folks,

for a good month i have been testing jolicloud and i have been pleased with the performance. they are still behind on some of the issues that Voira already resolved through his golden repository. ( i intend to send the jolicoud team link to this forum for them to learn one or two things)
anyway, back to skype. with jolicoud's latest beta - 2c, they have resolved the internal mic problem. it works out of the box.

this however would be of little help to all of you who are not using jolicloud. Nevertheless, on their forums there was a bit of code posted, which supposedly will tweak the settings so it works. here is a link http://getsatisfaction.com/jolicloud/to ... _jolicloud
and in case you cannot read it without logging in here is the code:
There is a temporary workaround which will help. Open a terminal and run these commands:

sudo amixer -c 0 sset "Input Source" "Front Mic"
sudo amixer -c 0 sset "Capture" "80%" "cap" "unmute"
sudo amixer -c 0 sset "Front Mic Boost" "30%" "unmute"
sudo amixer -c 0 sset "Front Mic" "100%" "mute"
sudo amixer -c 0 sset "Mic Boost" "30%" "unmute"
sudo amixer -c 0 sset "Mic" "100%" "mute"
sudo amixer -c 0 sset "PCM" "100%"

It's a lot, but it will adjust your sound mixer levels to support microphone recording.

(Note, a kernel upgrade to 2.6.30 may be required, we're working on packaging that up ASAP!)
needless to say I have not yet tested this on jaunty due to the fact that have not upgraded the kernel to .30
but you can give it a go if you feel adventurous :)
ciao
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

'denis6902' pid='1626' dateline='1247720286' wrote: btw, dont hide the gold, whats the free alternative that works with sound and webcam?
Take a look here, there is a list of free alternatives to skype.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
pedrito_el_drito

Post by pedrito_el_drito »

'zinaf' pid='1617' dateline='1247667485' wrote: After recent upgrade the alsa drivers must ahve changed. now the interface very different options. after this update i have not been able to make skype work. I have tried all possible combinations and changed all sorts of things in the alsa control panel but to no avail.
the worse thing is that I do not know how to revert to the previous version of alsa where it all worked fine with the following settings: hw:intel,0-pulse-pulse (I posted them in another thread just before the update stroke).
anyway if someone works it out would be uch appreaciate if they share.
I solved removing pulseaudio

killall pulseaudio
sudo apt-get remove libasound2-plugins "pulseaudio-*" paman padevchooser paprefs pavucontrol pavumeter
sudo aptitude remove /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio
and editing /etc/asound.conf (probably you do not have it so you have to create it)

pcm.card0 {
  type hw
  card 0
}

pcm.dmixer {
  type dmix
  ipc_key 1025
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,0"
    period_time 0
    period_size 2048
    buffer_size 32768
    rate 48000
  }
  bindings {
    0 0
    1 1
  }
}

pcm.skype {
  type asym

playback.pcm "dmixer"
  capture.pcm "card0"
}

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "skype"
}
Then in skype's audio options I set up "HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)" as input source and "skype" as ring and output.
Here's the thread were I found the asound.conf set up: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205924&page=2
Worked for me , I hope it will work for you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I have no problems at all with pulseaudio 0.9.15 and latest kernel 2.6.31* from my repository. Pulseaudio is stable (not a crash in over a month), and everything works flawlessy. However, I'm not a skype user, but I'm pretty sure the problem is with skype, not pulseaudio nor alsa driver.
pedrito_el_drito

Post by pedrito_el_drito »

'voRia' pid='1755' dateline='1250498290' wrote: I have no problems at all with pulseaudio 0.9.15 and latest kernel 2.6.31* from my repository. Pulseaudio is stable (not a crash in over a month), and everything works flawlessy. However, I'm not a skype user, but I'm pretty sure the problem is with skype, not pulseaudio nor alsa driver.
I agree with you, the problem should be with skype, and I would be happy to use a free alternative ( ekiga would be my choice) but all the people I'm in contact with use skype. So, as my nc10 is faster then ever using kernel 2.6.31* and the latest intel driver, I've been obliged to remove pulseaudio. By the way, thank you so much for your great work!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

'pedrito_el_drito' pid='1789' dateline='1250883188' wrote: I agree with you, the problem should be with skype, and I would be happy to use a free alternative ( ekiga would be my choice) but all the people I'm in contact with use skype.
I know, it's impossible to completely drop Skype if you and your contacts are used to it, but spreading the voice about the free alternatives would be a good start for a future solution to the problem. ;)
'pedrito_el_drito' pid='1789' dateline='1250883188' wrote: By the way, thank you so much for your great work!
You are welcome :)
el.botijo

Post by el.botijo »

It looks like the Skype people heard you: version 2.1 beta is up. The main difference I have seen is that the only option the software lets you choose is PulseAudio. Somehow, Skype issued a ring noise, but after that it went mute in my NC10 with the .31 kernel. More experiments are needed!
gipsea

Re: NC10 and skype

Post by gipsea »

Hello everyone,

I've read all these posts but still haven't find a solution.

When I run skype and test call, I can hear my voice but with great distortion (slow, deep and confused).

I checked the alsa mixer and keep changing stuff but nothing happen

I'm running on kernel 2.6.31-20 (but I have same problem since ever) and my skype audio configuration is ACL272 Analog (hw:0,0) and skype auto adjust audio setting (which I tried also to disable with no better result)

Sound and web work well

I've no idea what to check next.

Thanks