HOWTO: Use the repository on K/Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HOWTO: Use the repository on K/Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)

Post by voria »

Yes, I use the Ubuntu desktop version.

In order to use the hotkeys, you have to enable the 'commands' plugin in the compizconfig-settings-manager (install it if you don't have it).
This step is needed even if compiz is not in use; the plugin is enabled by default in ubuntu karmic desktop, perhaps it's not in the netbook remix.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
marshmn

Post by marshmn »

I installed the compiz settings manager and confirmed that the commands plugin was already enabled.

I was then checking some other settings and in doing so the window manager restarted (I think) and the keys started working. I'm actually wondering if I ever restarted the window manager after adding the nc10-scripts package... I think I didn't add the nc10-scripts until after the kernel change and since I usually suspend/resume rather than shutting down I might never have restarted the window manager and hence the settings might not have been picked up before?

Anyway it seems like it's working now. I think tomorrow I may do a new fresh install of everything and just verify that it's all working as expected on a clean system.

Thanks for the help,
Matt
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

marshmn wrote:I think I didn't add the nc10-scripts until after the kernel change and since I usually suspend/resume rather than shutting down I might never have restarted the window manager and hence the settings might not have been picked up before?
Yes, this can be the cause. The user session needs to be restarted after the 'nc10-scripts' are installed, in order to apply the changes.
Anyway, I'm glad to know that the new kernel and udev work as espected, thank you for testing. :)
(For the record, a new kernel is building right now, containing the FN keys release patch for Samsung N310 too, along with a new udev).
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

voRia wrote:A little note for the Ubuntu users who are considering to upgrade to karmic and need VGA output: it does not work well yet. When trying to switch monitors, image freezes on both the internal and external screens. I will investigate the problem.
It seems this problem cannot be properly fixed in Karmic, we have to wait for the next Ubuntu release, Lucid, to get it fixed.
Anyway, I'm uploading right now new mesa packages on the repository.
Now, when both screens turns black, the X server is not freezed anymore and can at least be restarted from a virtual terminal.
Well, it's not a perfect solution, but it's better than a completely hanged machine.

Just to be clear: this problem only happens when trying to use the external VGA output with compiz desktop effects enabled. If compiz is turned off before switching to external monitor (the 'nc10-scripts' package contains a convenient script to do this, mapped to <ctrl><alt><shift>m), there are no problems at all and everything works fine.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Main post updated to reflect latest changes on the repository.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Main post updated with a link to the 'LCD/VGA switch' howto.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Kernel, 'samsung-backlight' and 'samsung-wireless' packages updated to version 2.6.31-19 on the repository.
marshmn

Post by marshmn »

voRia wrote:Kernel, 'samsung-backlight' and 'samsung-wireless' packages updated to version 2.6.31-19 on the repository.
I think there might be a problem with this latest package of 'samsung-wireless' for some reason.

Firstly, note that previously (for kernel 2.6.31-17) I had installed the 'N140-wireless' package rather than 'samsung-wireless'. I don't think that this should make a difference, but...

When I came to do the updates today, I got the following error message when updating the wireless package: 'E: /var/cache/apt/archives/samsung-wireless-2.6.31-19_2.6.31-19~ppa1~loms~karmic_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/54r8192e_pci', which is also in package samsung-wireless-2.6.31-17 0'. This left the machine with broken wireless with the ...-19 kernel.

I was able to enter synaptic and remove the samsung-wireless package, and then add it again and that worked to get everything running with the ...-19 kernel.

Matt
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Thanks for reporting the problem.
I've just uploaded a new samsung-wireless package on the repository, the problem should be fixed from now on.
Changelog:

Code: Select all

samsung-wireless (2.6.31-19~ppa2~loms~karmic) karmic; urgency=low

* Install '/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/54r8192e_pci' from the debian/postinst
    script. This way there will be no file conflicts when different versions
    of this package are installed at the same time.
marshmn

Post by marshmn »

Thanks. I updated to the new package, seems to work fine :D

Thanks,
Matt
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I've uploaded a new version, which forces the removal of old broken 2.6.31-17 package.
Note that the package manager will ask for a dist-upgrade to be performed, in order to remove it.
jzz5

Post by jzz5 »

voRia,

First of all, thanks for all the effort you have put into this so far... As far as I can see, you have made a lot of people very happy. I hope you can help me too...

I have a N135 (should be identical to the N130), running Ubuntu Netboot Remix (9.10). I followed your instructions in this post to solve a problem I have with my wireless. It didn't help, but it did solve some other problems (SATA freeze, brightness control, etc.) (even some problems I didn't know I had...).

My original problem is this: my wireless does not reach above 54 Mb/s, while inside a N (300 Mb/s) network. I think the Atheros (AR9285) card is only capable of 150 Mb/s, but it doesn't reach above 54 for now.

After the upgrade I noticed that I do not have the 2 finger scroll on my touchpad any more. This did not worked 'out of the box', so I adapted something in the past to make that work. I'll have to start looking how to enable this again.

The Fn key-functionalities work now (they didn't do that before) so this upgrade works for the N135 as well.

One more thing I have... While on battery power, the gnome power saving settings dim the brightness after a while of inactivity. When I move the mouse, it comes back up. But when I set the brightness to a higher level than default, after waking up after inactivity it becomes default, so I have to set it back up again. It's nothing crucial though.

Hope you have a solution for my wireless, that is more urgent.

Greets,
Jzz
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

jzz5 wrote:my wireless does not reach above 54 Mb/s, while inside a N (300 Mb/s) network. I think the Atheros (AR9285) card is only capable of 150 Mb/s, but it doesn't reach above 54 for now.
I've never used a N card in a N enabled network, so I can't be of any concrete help to you, I don't know if and how all this stuff work. However, as far as I know, the usual tools for managing wireless devices (ie, iwconfig), support up to G networks.
I suggest to do some tests with 'iw', which is intended to be the replacement for iwconfig in the near future, and it supports N standard along with older versions. It's available in the ubuntu repositories, give it a try.
jzz5 wrote:After the upgrade I noticed that I do not have the 2 finger scroll on my touchpad any more. This did not worked 'out of the box', so I adapted something in the past to make that work. I'll have to start looking how to enable this again.
You should be able to enable it through 'System'->'Preferences'->'Mouse' dialog.
jzz5 wrote:One more thing I have... While on battery power, the gnome power saving settings dim the brightness after a while of inactivity. When I move the mouse, it comes back up. But when I set the brightness to a higher level than default, after waking up after inactivity it becomes default, so I have to set it back up again. It's nothing crucial though.
It seems that gnome-power-manager does not remeber the last used brightness, so after the inactivity it set back the default brightness value by default is 50%). The problem can be only fixed in gpm, so I suggest to file a bug report about it on gnome bugzilla. Personally, I have disabled the 'dim when inactive' function, in order to workaround the problem.
monkeyflight

Post by monkeyflight »

Hi voRia,

thanks for the great work you're doing!
I've been looking for a way to get my screen brightness fixed for quite a while now and seem to have finally found a way to do it.
I have a Samsung Q45 which runs Ubuntu 9.10. The laptop comes with intel graphics so your patch should work on this machine just as well.
I added the repos and did the upgrade. Unfortunately I'm getting the following error message when trying to select and install samsung-backlight:

samsung-backlight:
Depends: samsung-backlight-2.6.31-19 but it is not installable

I tried Synaptic, apt-get and aptitude, all to no avail. Gives me the same message every time.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

linux-image-2.6.31-19.57~ppa2~loms~karmic

Thanks and best regards!
jzz5

Post by jzz5 »

voRia,

Thanks for the reply. I will try iw for my network problem. The 2 finger scroll was already enabled in the mouse preferences, but it did not work. As I said, I had this problem before, but I had fixed it. I have it up and running again now.

I'll disable the dim function in gpm, that will be sufficient as a workaround for now.

Thanks again for the reply, I will be following this forum closely, a lot of usefullness! Keep up the good work!

Jzz