HOWTO: Use the repository on K/Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
endless

Re: HOWTO: Use the repository on K/Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala

Post by endless »

Fantastic! Thanks you very much!! Cant wait to try the graphical tool! Works well on my N310, although the brightness interval seems to be higher than in jaunty.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

A test version of 'samsung-tools' is already available on the repository for installation. Tests and reports are very welcome about it. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

For Lucid users:
I've split the 'easy-slow-down-manager' and 'samsung-backlight' kernel modules in two separate packages, so if you need the latter make sure to install the 'samsung-backlight' package too.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
anduril

Post by anduril »

:D :D :D :D

I have installed everything as laid out in this thread. Works perfectly on my Samsung N210.

Windows 7 is a joke alongside it. Will be needing to remove that partition soon!

Thanks a lot!
mileski

Post by mileski »

Hi,

I report that all the patches work on the new Samsung N150, and I would like to express this "PERFECTLY". I was thinking of either solving the backlight problem alone, or returning the laptop back. Well, a solution was already written by voria. Thank you.

I will be testing the modules extensively these days, and report back how stable everything is.

Voria, I have one question for you, because you provide a new kernel with the modules added. Have you seen a difference between the compiled kernel in Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop and Ubuntu 9.10 Remix edition?

I'm using the remix edition, because the guys from Canonical said that the remix is compiled specially for netbooks. I think then the difference should be in the compiled kernel.

So what do you use as base kernel, the remix or the normal one?

Thanks in advance man. Cheers from Berlin.

p.s.. If you need some development help, just say the word.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I'm glad to read that everything works good for you. :)

AFAIK, the standard ubuntu and the netbook remix version use the same kernel.
The netbook remix version is specific for netbooks in the sense that, as you probably already know, it does not use the standard gnome desktop, it provides a new desktop interface thinked to optimize the limited space available on small screens.
mileski

Post by mileski »

Well, that is what I was thinking also. But, there is this but: I post you and interview with a guy from Canonical about UNR:
What have you done with Intel to optimize the new platform for Atom?
Canonical has been working closely with Intel for more than a year on support for the Intel Atom processors. The optimizations mostly center around taking advantage of the power-saving extensions afforded by the Intel Atom processors, as well at some boot optimizations.
And this concerns only UNR. That was my doubt. :)

Full interview here: http://blog.laptopmag.com/ubuntu-netboo ... -canonical

voRia wrote:I'm glad to read that everything works good for you. :)

AFAIK, the standard ubuntu and the netbook remix version use the same kernel.
The netbook remix version is specific for netbooks in the sense that, as you probably already know, it does not use the standard gnome desktop, it provides a new desktop interface thinked to optimize the limited space available on small screens.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I think Canonical was referring to the "LPIA" architecture, which stands for "Low Power Intel Architecture" and theorically should optimize the code for Atom processors.
This architecture was supported until Karmic and now has been dropped in Lucid, I think because the gains in terms of power consumption was not so relevant as initially thought.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

A little note to Lucid users interested in CPU undervolting: I've removed the PHC module from the kernel package on the repository, and made it available in a separate package. This way users not interested in CPU undervolting are not forced to have it enabled.

To enable it, just install the package 'phc-intel':

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install phc-intel
andrubuntu

Post by andrubuntu »

is samsung-wireless going to be made available for lucid? thanks. really appreciate your effort
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I don't know if the kernel module is now included in the official kernel or not.
Anyway, if needed I will provide the 'samsung-wireless' package for Lucid too. Just let me know. ;)
andrubuntu

Post by andrubuntu »

^I've just upgraded to the Lucid Lynx RC and the wireless on my N140 is no longer working
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Ok, a new 'samsung-wireless' package for Lucid is available on the repository now, please test it and post here the results. ;)
andrubuntu

Post by andrubuntu »

Many thanks! Wireless is working now. I'll let you know if I notice any issues. Thanks for doing this - it is really appreciated.
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

Hey guys,

I think I am too stupid but I don't know how to update Samsung-Tools on 9.10 Karmic Koala. I dont know how to use the German translation and how to use the whole features of Samsung Tools like Undervolting. Can anybody please help me? :) I would be so grateful =)
Thanks a lot,
cragg.