HOWTO: Use the repository on K/Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
Lolo
Supporter
Supporter

Re: HOWTO: Use the repository on K/Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04

Post by Lolo »

hello Voria,

Although my native language is French, I'll try to make me understood with Google translation and a little English learned at school (long time ago ! ;D )

Like everyone else, I owe a big thank for your work that allows us to take full advantage of our Samsung Laptops. ;)

However since my Karmic passage to Lucid, the Bluetooth function on my N210 does not work.
The keystrokes work fine (Fn + F7) and they open the corresponding software, but it seems that the hardware is not recognized because no device discovery can succeed.

It seems to me that the Samsung drivers for Lucid are not included... Can I have your opinion on that, please ?

Again thank you : Lolo
kadrach

Post by kadrach »

suspend does not work anymore on my NC10 after upgrading to Lucid (the one that's mapped to Fn-Esc).

ps: s2ram does work from console, but fn-esc just dumps me to the "session locked" screen.
DeeZiD

Post by DeeZiD »

Hi
my name is Dennis.

Samsung tools are working great. Thanks for your work! :)

But I have one big problem.
Suspend to ram works - only partially...
On wakeup I get stuck at the lockscreen.
After pressing a key my nc10 freezes completely. :(
I don't know if this has anything to do with the new kernel, the new 11c bios or a bad module.

Please help.
Everything else works great: wifi (+fnkey), umts, brightnesskeys, etc...

Dennis
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Lolo wrote: However since my Karmic passage to Lucid, the Bluetooth function on my N210 does not work.
The keystrokes work fine (Fn + F7) and they open the corresponding software, but it seems that the hardware is not recognized because no device discovery can succeed.

It seems to me that the Samsung drivers for Lucid are not included... Can I have your opinion on that, please ?
Mmm, I don't know what it causing this. But, if bluetooth is found and correctly managed by 'Samsung Tools', then the kernel driver is in place and loaded.
When you do device discovery, is there any strange message in your 'dmesg' output?
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

kadrach wrote:suspend does not work anymore on my NC10 after upgrading to Lucid (the one that's mapped to Fn-Esc).

ps: s2ram does work from console, but fn-esc just dumps me to the "session locked" screen.
I think this is due to a misconfiguration in 'gnome-power-manager'. Does suspend work when used from the notification applet (ie, the button in the top-right corner of the screen)?
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

DeeZiD wrote: Suspend to ram works - only partially...
I don't know if this has anything to do with the new kernel, the new 11c bios or a bad module.
That's odd. Everything is working flawless on my NC10.
Actually, I have no idea what can cause this problem...
On wake up, can you switch to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) instead to try to unlock your current session?
If so, log in it and check your 'dmesg' output for any hints about the error.
DeeZiD

Post by DeeZiD »

voRia wrote:
DeeZiD wrote: Suspend to ram works - only partially...
That's odd. Everything is working flawless on my NC10.
Actually, I have no idea what can cause this problem...
On wake up, can you switch to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) instead to try to unlock your current session?
If so, log in it and check your 'dmesg' output for any hints about the error.
Every keypress after suspend to ram (not disk, which is strange), freezes my nc10.
Another strange thing I noticed is that str works with live-usb but not with a new installation (copied the home folder before)... :o

And I noticed that I'm using the bios version: 11c4 but Micom version: 04ca.

Could that cause the problem, too?
But then I don't know why it works on the live-usb. :-\

I'll try creating a new user next. ;)

regards
Dennis
Lolo
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Lolo »

voRia wrote:
Lolo wrote: However since my Karmic passage to Lucid, the Bluetooth function on my N210 does not work.

Mmm, I don't know what it causing this. But, if bluetooth is found and correctly managed by 'Samsung Tools', then the kernel driver is in place and loaded.
When you do device discovery, is there any strange message in your 'dmesg' output?
Hello,
This morning, my system has an automatic checkdisk and after reboot, everything seems perfect :)

(I made a little donate for your job... thanks again ;) )
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

I'm glad everything is working for you too. :)
Lolo wrote: (I made a little donate for your job... thanks again ;) )
Thanks to you, it's really appreciated! ;)
Sinner
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Sinner »

Hi

Thank you for the wonderful work.

I thought you could use a little donation ;)

Thanks again

Boris.
FelixII

Post by FelixII »

Hi,

I installed Kubuntu 10.04 on my Samsung N120 - Netbook and thanks to your great "samsung-tools" and "samsung-backlight" packages, my FN keys are working :)

Today morning I realized that I got the key release bug when using my brightness-keys. After some searching I read that I have to install the patched kernel available from your repository. Since I'm relatively new to Linux I don't exactly know how to do that...

The package is called "linux", but since there are around 1000 packages, which contain the phrase "linux", it's hard to find the right one in my package manager. "apt-get install linux" seams to install a wrong package.

So what's the best way to download it? Once I download it, does it install automatically? Do I have to make further configurations to boot from the right kernel? When a new official kernel comes out, do I have to wait until a patched version of this kernel is released by you?

So you see, many questions. Thank you in advance for your help :D
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

The bug you are experiencing is not related to kernel but it is a KDE bug, I'm affected too on my NC10 when using Kubuntu.
I think the problem will be fixed in short times, just keep your system always up to date. ;)
While waiting for the fix, you can control brightness by clicking on the battery icon on the panel.

Anyway, just for the record, new kernels from my repository are automatically installed as updates when they are available (assuming you have added the repository following the instructions in this thread), so you don't have to install them manually. The generic kernel packages are called 'linux-image-<VERSION>-generic'.
FelixII

Post by FelixII »

Alright, thank you ;)
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hi,
my English isn't very good, but I hope you can understand me ;)

I've got a Samsung N140 with Ubuntu 10.04 installed and your ppa - and I just love it!

After I found this thread I tried undervolting my netbook. The interesting thing is, that my Netbook runs at the lowest VID (15) at 1600 MHz without any problems. I'm wondering if I have made something wrong. BurnMMX runs without any crashes.

PHC-intel is installed.

Code: Select all

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls 
says

Code: Select all

12:15 10:15 8:15 6:15
Is there a way to check the CPU-voltage?

Edit: :D I just checked the wattage in powertop with undervolting and without it while burnMMX runs. With the default VID-Values my netbook needs ~8,8W. With undervolting (vid 15) it just needs 5,9W!
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Wow, this is impressive! :o
I'd never thought such a low VID was possible.
But, are you sure the system is perfectly stable now?
I'm yet a bit skeptical. :P