Windows recovery partition accessible without registration?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
GOK

Windows recovery partition accessible without registration?

Post by GOK »

Hi there!
These pages are enormously helpful - many thanks!!!!

But here's something I don't understand yet. Can you help?

I installed Ubuntu Netbook on my brand new n150 (believing to create a dual boot option with windows7).
Everything worked fine - except for WLAN and brightness control (couldn't fix it despite all the good advice here). So I tried to boot Windows7 once again to check WLAN-access from there --
and everything broke down.

Here are my 2 questions:
+ Is there any hope to recover Windows from the recovery partition if I haven't registered or saved anything? ("Samsung Recovery Tools" asks you to register windows when you turn on the new computer for the very first time. I didn't have internet access and postponed the registration; it never asked me again. - Now I read that THIS registration would have created a backup version that would set the whole system back to default settings.)

+ How can I install Ubuntu on an extra partition without causing trouble? - If I go for "choose partition manually" in the installation wizard, and mount the root thing to an existing primary partition - will the other partition (containing a windows reinstall) still be recognized and able to boot?
Otherwise: how should I do it?
(sorry - I'm bloody new to Linux and all installation questions :( )

Any help highly appreciated - thanks for your work!!
Greetings from Germany,
Franziska
GOK

Re: Windows recovery partition accessible without registrati

Post by GOK »

It's working now; please consider the preceding post as deleted.
Cheers,
GOK