New application's coming: Samsung Tools!

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
cragg.

Re: New application's coming: Samsung Tools!

Post by cragg. »

Okay :) You're great =)
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

After updating the kernel, undervolting worked.

Today, I updated my Netbook and undervolting doesnt work once again :/
I think that the compiled kernel has to be downloaded again, right?

cragg. :)
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Yet another kernel has been released today from Ubuntu, and yet another customized version of it is in queue to be built on my repository. Just wait for it to be ready and update your system. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

Hey there =)

When I check my system it says that I have got the kernel 2.6.32-23-generic.
Reinstalling phc-intel doesn't change the matter that undervolting doesn't work.

I am too stupid for this world, I am so sorry, voria, but could you PLEASE explain me once again what I have to do when I want to use the "undervolt-feature"?

Regards from Berlin,
cragg. :)
berillions

Post by berillions »

Hello,

I installed Debian Sid and i would like to know how to install correctly "Samsung Tools".
I tried to install it thanks to the .deb create by DJFreak but i have an error when i installed 'slow down manager.deb'.

How to install correctly slow down manager and Samsung Tools with her source.

Thanks
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

Okay, everything is fine now. I don't know WHY it works, but I followed your instructions and everything is ok now =)

Wish you all nice holidays =)
Regards from Berlin.
cragg.
Aakko

Post by Aakko »

One question about this tool.

If I run fans in silent mode and cpu at full load is there a change that I can fry my laptop?
cragg.

Post by cragg. »

Aakko wrote:One question about this tool.

If I run fans in silent mode and cpu at full load is there a change that I can fry my laptop?
My experience:

If you mean that your CPU could be damaged in Silent Mode ('cause I'm not sure if I did understand correctly what you mean) I can calm your fear: even in Silent Mode the fan rotates faster so that a certain temperature is not overstepped.

Regrads,
cragg.even in Silent Mode rot
rous85

Post by rous85 »

Hi! I found one translation mistake for russian language. CPU freezing suggests "Номальное", "Бесшумный", "Разгон". "Номальное" should be corrected to "Нормальное" (the letter "р" is missing). Thanks for your project.
frankd

Post by frankd »

Hi,

i installed samsung-tools on ubuntu lucid from the ppa repository without any problems. unfortunately not much effect show up - cpu fan is still running almost all the time on my samsung r60.

to confirm successfull installation:

cat /proc/easy_slow_down_manager ---> 1

samsung-tools --status
---> cpu-temp 51
---> fan-mode silent

(fan is running although cpu temp is just 51C !)

any idea what i can do?
Samsing

Post by Samsing »

Hi all,

First, thank's for your wonderfull work ! I've installed laptom-mod & samsung-tools with all related packages on my N150 + UNR Lucid and everything is working just fine :D

Now some newbie questions :

- can I switch cpufreq governor depending on fan speed switch FN+F8 ?

I mean I would like the following behavior :
- in Silent cpu fan mode, the governor should be switched to Conservative cpufreq governor
- in Normal mode, the governor should be switched to Ondemand
- in Speed mode, the governor should be switched to Performance

Also and apart from that, I would like to switch the fan speed depending on CPU temp: for exemple, stay in silent mode while CPU temp is below 60°C, stay in normal mode while CPU temp is below 65°C, switch to Speed mode if CPU temp starts from 65°C.

Any hints on where to put some scripts would be great ;D

Thanks
vlad1973

Post by vlad1973 »

Hi all, and personaly voRia!!! (Sorry for my bad english :-[ )
Dear voRia thank you for the great work done!!!

On my N150Plus (ubuntu 10.04) your super application works with all :D. Litle problem i have with touchpad (not work horizontal scroll with two finger) and microphone (not detect).
Touchpad Elantech (detect as "ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse") for kernel < 2.6.34 not set on building kernel, if you might include patch on the make your version kernel 2.6.32-25 (More about patch for elantech - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=44). On 10.10 microphone and touchpad fully work, but 10.04 is LTS.
I make as you talk _http://www.voria.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3317#p3317. My atom450 can work at 3 frequencies: 1667Mhz, 1333 Mhz, 1000 Mhz. The default VIDs for them, in order, are: 29, 24, 19. After tuning VIDs are 13, 9, 5. This decrease power ~1,2-1,6W, and up time ~30-40min. But last update for kernel (20.10.2010) not allow me tuning VIDs.

Code: Select all

cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/phc_default_vids: Not file name or directory
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/phc_vids: Not file name or directory
I hope it is possible to correct. Best regards. :)
vlad1973

Post by vlad1973 »

to voRia
Last update kernel fix phc option! Thank you! :)
Samsung tools increase work time up to 9.9 h.
tkoun

Post by tkoun »

hello,

samsung-tools is great. the only problem is that notification pop-ups seem to take a long time to display... try to do a 'samsung-tools -a -n' and you'll see what I'm talking about.

To remedy this I find especially useful to add a key shortcut to execute the following:

notify-send "General Status" "`samsung-tools -a`" -i /usr/lib/samsung-tools/gui/icons/samsung-tools.png

this has the advantage to display in a single notification pop-up the status of all devices and so we avoid waiting forever to see a series of pop-ups one for each device.

regards to all,
tkoun
pumagus2010

Post by pumagus2010 »

Does this tools exist for mandriva linux2010.2? i'm having trouble with the backlight control, power settings slider control for backlight don't work neither the hotkeys (Fn+). my nanksetbook is a samsung N150 atom processor 166mhz 1 gb Ram. os mandriva 2010.2 or does exist some similar tools for it?
Thanks.