HOWTO: Update the BIOS/MICOM using DOS

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HOWTO: Update the BIOS/MICOM using DOS

Post by voria »

Well, the phlash utility is *relatively* safe, it performs some checks first, then it flash the new bios.
Anyway, I don't see any other method for updating the BIOS on X120 but using the official samsung updater.
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
jakeybob
Supporter
Supporter

Post by jakeybob »

Hi,

I'm running Xubuntu 9.04 on an N110, and am trying to update the BIOS (currently 02D0).

So, I have a couple of (hopefully easy to answer) questions:

1) now that I have a bootable DOS usb-key (thanks for that image by the way, every other FreeDOS style setup I've tried has thrown up op-code errors!) and the DOS executable "11CA07D0.EXE" from the samsungpc.com website, can I just boot into a DOS prompt and run that executable; or do I have to use the method described here, i.e. using the extracted files (****B.WPH, ****M.BIN etc...) and running UPBIOS and UPMICOM?

2) if the latter method has to be used, is it ok to use the files for the NC10, contained in "11CA_dos.zip" even though I'm using an N110?

Any help/advice appreciated!

Bob
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Hello :)
jakeybob wrote:1) now that I have a bootable DOS usb-key (thanks for that image by the way, every other FreeDOS style setup I've tried has thrown up op-code errors!) and the DOS executable "11CA07D0.EXE" from the samsungpc.com website, can I just boot into a DOS prompt and run that executable; or do I have to use the method described here, i.e. using the extracted files (****B.WPH, ****M.BIN etc...) and running UPBIOS and UPMICOM?
Yes, you can use directly the official samsung updater for DOS.
jakeybob wrote:2) if the latter method has to be used, is it ok to use the files for the NC10, contained in "11CA_dos.zip" even though I'm using an N110?
No, those files are for NC10 only. Anyway, just go with the official samsung updater. ;)
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
jakeybob
Supporter
Supporter

Post by jakeybob »

Yes, you can use directly the official samsung updater for DOS.
This worked perfectly; BIOS/MICOM updated, and the brightness up/down hotkeys now function exactly as they should.

Many thanks for the swift reply and hard work!
ishnid

Post by ishnid »

These instructions worked for me too without a hitch. Thanks very much, this is a great resource.
b1tk0pf

Post by b1tk0pf »

Hi,

works fine. Thanx a lot!
However during the procedure i ran into the same problems like freDonWeb:
When I do it, my USB key disappear and I can not mount it a second time.
If I do a "mount -v", I do not see my key.
My fault was that i chose "/dev/sdb1" instead of "/dev/sdb" when using the dd-command.
-iGoR-

Post by -iGoR- »

Just registerd to say thank you! This HOWTO is much appriciated.
every other FreeDOS style setup I've tried has thrown up op-code errors!
Had exactly same problems as jakeybob.
However during the procedure i ran into the same problems like freDonWeb:
When I do it, my USB key disappear and I can not mount it a second time.
If I do a "mount -v", I do not see my key.
My fault was that i chose "/dev/sdb1" instead of "/dev/sdb" when using the dd-command.
Thanks for this tip too! Not yet that used to linux that couldn't have figured this out.
gegewali

Post by gegewali »

How can I flash the bios to my old dell pc to overclock? I have an old dell pc sitting around and I want to have some fun. Its a Pentium 3, with floppy, and stock parts and well, old, lol. Im not computer illiterate, just bios flashing illiterate. I know that dell locks all overclocking options. So is there a bios that is compatible with this dell mobo that will work on it?
krides

Post by krides »

I'm sorry but I can't find the "link below" to download the image. Where is it exactly?

UPD. I have found it. Sorry for the silly question above.
krides

Post by krides »

I managed to update BIOS and now all Fn buttons work just perfectly. However, I keep getting this capacity error while trying to update MICOM. My question is do I need to update it at all and if yes, how do I overcome this capacity limitation?
zsottika44

Post by zsottika44 »

Dear Voria!

I hope You can help me! I need to flash my NC10 BIOS because it cannot detect the correctly installed SATA drive (SATA Port 1 is None). I tried the links from your post, but these firmwares not compatible with my model, the flash fails with Part ID error.... Can you give me firmware link for my model (NP-NC10-JP01UK)? I'm using my netbook with Windows 10 To Go from an external USB SATA drive, but the BIOSUpdate.exe what I can download from the official support site cannot update my BIOS (give me a message: download not available).

Thanks for reply!
zsottika44