Let's add support to other Samsung netbooks

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
hawkeye9322

Re: Let's add support to other Samsung netbooks

Post by hawkeye9322 »

BigTubeOfKY wrote:Hmmm... Now that I've updated the drivers the rc.local trick doesn't seem to work anymore.

I can still get the driver to connect to my WPA network if I manually do the modprobe removal and restart.

Any ideas anyone?
Further to my earlier report, yesterday I needed to connect the Sammy to a WEP (unsecured) connection, and although it could "see" the connection it refused to complete the connection.

I ended up doing
sudo apt-get install samsung-wireless

and restarted the machine.

On restart, it immediately connected to the WEP connection.

As an experiment, I removed both the samsung-wireless and the samsung-wireless-2.6.35-22, reinstalled samsung-wireless and then samsung-wireless-2.6.35-22, rebooted, and although it still found and connected to the WEP without issue, it refused to connect to an adjacent WPA/WPA2 link.

I again removed both of the samsung-wireless connectors, and re installed the samsung-wireless-2.6.35-22 first, and then the samsung-wireless. Rebooted.

Now, the machines will connect to either the WEP or the WPA/WPA2.

Here, it seems that the order that the two samsung connectors are installed has an impact on connecting to either WEP or WPA/WPA2.

Hope these observations are of use!
amerog

Post by amerog »

I am now connecting to all WiFi, including WEP and WPA, but unfortunately not through samsung-wireless. I compiled the Linux driver into the kernel and added it to /etc/module so it is downloaded with every boot.

Suspend to RAM does not work though.
giorgiob

Post by giorgiob »

Hello, great work!

Add R510/P510 please!

There are some different versions of R510, some with nvidia GeForce 9200M GS graphics and other with intel GMA X4500.
themagni

Post by themagni »

I have an NF210 using 10.10 and UNR.

Function keys were not working out of the box, but I edited a few files to get them working:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 97371.html

Thing not working are:
1. Webcam -- it worked under 10.04, but not under 10.10. This is a fairly minor thing. No errors, just blank screen.
2. Edge scrolling on touchpad (It has multitouch in Win7). Having this work would be super. THe mouse filed is a plain PS2 mouse so there's nothing to adjust.
3. Network resume after hibernate (I have to rmmod / modprobe). This is a real PITA.

The killer was the function keys because they don't release when you hit Fn. Fixing that meant that I was able to blow away my Win7 partition completely. VGA out works; I've had a projector attached to it.

It would be great but exceedingly difficult to get rid of the Samsung splash screen.

I'm willing and able to beta test fixes, so let me know what I can do.

Thanks!
JPex

Post by JPex »

Hello friends!

I created this topic for my Samsung R525 : « http://www.voria.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=627 » B)
Well since I did not reply, I made tests with the kernel : 2.6.32-26-generic (# 49 ~ ~ PPA1 LOMS ~ lucid-Ubuntu)

When I put in the Grub file (sudo gedit /etc/default/grub) to the line :
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor splash"
I have all the function keys that work but not control the backlight, the keys up and down. :-\
Putting:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off splash"
control the backlight, the keys up and down works ! Yeesssss ! :D

BUT :
Escape Fn and Fn F2 does not work and now change the frequency of CPU is not supported. :'(

@Voria :
What exactly should we put in the command line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT ???

I have seen written : « acpi_backlight=vendor » and also « acpi_vendor=backlight » :!
What is the proper order  ???

Thank you for the work you do ;)
LexxFan

Post by LexxFan »

Please add
R517/R717
from forum.ubuntu.ru :)
bloodredfrog

Post by bloodredfrog »

Hello! Thanks for great work!

Please add N230.
mj2810

Post by mj2810 »

I have a N148P and like many other models here the function keys are not working except for volume up and down. Could you please add support for this model ? thank you ! I'm running Ubuntu 10.10.
shisoik

Post by shisoik »

I have Samsung NT-SF310-S53 laptop. It's basically Korean SF310 with flat touchpad (no popping up buttons).

Code: Select all

~$sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
QX310/QX410/QX510/SF310/SF410/SF510
antey86

Post by antey86 »

I have Ubuntu 9.10
I need support backlight for SR70S/SR71S
NP-R70 A00A
thx
cvfreak

Post by cvfreak »

Yes please! I have the q430 as well, and linux has only one pitfall: the brightness keys not funtioning.
ssdude07

Post by ssdude07 »

Hi I wanted to see if there was any support for the backlighting issue on my Q430 laptop running ubuntu 10.10 as the brightness stays all the way up and does not change when i use the fn up/down keys or manually move it with the slider in the power management section. Thanks in advance!
Envek

Post by Envek »

Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for supporting Linux on the Samsung notebooks!

Please add support for the N250 netbook.

(Oh, excuse me for my English, please)
I've bought Samsung N250 lesser than a week ago, and installed Ubuntu 10.10. After googling for problem solution I've installed your project's debs, but brightness issues are still present:

Brightness. Trouble with keys (they're don't releasing). Initially, I've solved it manually by editing files /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules and /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules, but afterwards I've deleted edits from /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules and now using command

echo 130,131,132,134,136,137,177,179,247,249 > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/force_release
in the /etc/rc.local . Although, I was need to add the acpi_backlight=vendor option to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT option in the /etc/default/grub .
But I was need to disable all brightness related things in GNOME's "Power Management", because after system loading (and some times more) display may start "blinking" between two some levels of brightness and stops only after I've multiple times pressed all volume and brightness keys in chaotic order :-)

envek@envek-netbook:~$ sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
N145P/N250P/N260P
All keys from "Samsung Tools" are working. Webcam, bluetooth, fan control are working fine!

Can I provide any additional info or any help?
shamanchik

Post by shamanchik »

Add support to my N150 Plus, please.

Product name: N150P/N210P/N220P

Thanks for your work!
Zigi

Post by Zigi »

Hello and thank you for those awesome tools.

I have installed ubuntu on the new Samsung NC 210

After installing the Samsung-Tools and Samung-Backlight some of the keys work, like Sound regulation.
But unfortunately Brightness adjustment doesnt work. As soon as i press FN and UP or DOWN for the adjustment, the GUI shows the bar going up or down, but in reality the brightness doesnt change. Even worse is that after pressing the combination once, the command is executed indefinitely, wich makes any more input via the keybord impossible until i restart.

It would be great if you could add Support for the NC 210
Product name: NC210/NC110

Thank you in advance.