fans always on

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
User avatar
voRia
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1378
Joined: 12/02/2009, 18:08
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: fans always on

Postby voRia » 06/04/2011, 14:19

No guys, you are wrong.

There is no such a thing as the cycle mode, the command

Code: Select all

samsung-tools --cpu cycle
just set the next mode in a cyclic way (normal->silent, silent->speed, speed->normal). It's just a convenient function used by the Fn-F8 hotkey to select the next mode.

In all the three modes (silent, normal, speed) the cpu fan adjusts its speed automatically, the only thing that changes is the way the job is done.
In silent mode the cpu fan takes a longer time to increase its speed, in speed mode a shorter time. That's all.

For the standard behaviour, just set the fan to normal mode.
Image
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!

User avatar
Woulouf
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51
Joined: 05/03/2011, 12:32
Location: France

Re: fans always on

Postby Woulouf » 06/04/2011, 14:23

Ok, thanks for this information ;)
Samsung N150 powered by Voyager 12.04 (Xubuntu)
Brightness control issue with 12.04 LTS : look at this topic viewtopic.php?p=5753#p5753

Kizikhi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 04/04/2011, 13:41

Re: fans always on

Postby Kizikhi » 06/04/2011, 14:32

voRia wrote:No guys, you are wrong.

There is no such a thing as the cycle mode, the command

Code: Select all

samsung-tools --cpu cycle
just set the next mode in a cyclic way (normal->silent, silent->speed, speed->normal). It's just a convenient function used by the Fn-F8 hotkey to select the next mode.

In all the three modes (silent, normal, speed) the cpu fan adjusts its speed automatically, the only thing that changes is the way the job is done.
In silent mode the cpu fan takes a longer time to increase its speed, in speed mode a shorter time. That's all.

For the standard behaviour, just set the fan to normal mode.

From terminal:

Code: Select all

valeri@valeri ~ $ samsung-tools --help
Samsung Tools - Command Line Utility

Usage: samsung-tools <interface> <option> ...

CPU fan:
   Interface:   -c | --cpu
   Options:   normal | silent | speed | cycle | hotkey | status

No such a thing? Ok, then what is it? - Options: normal | silent | speed | cycle | hotkey | status

User avatar
Woulouf
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 51
Joined: 05/03/2011, 12:32
Location: France

Re: fans always on

Postby Woulouf » 06/04/2011, 14:35

Kizikhi wrote:No such a thing? Ok, then what is it? - Options: normal | silent | speed | cycle | hotkey | status


You've got already the answer :
It's just a convenient function used by the Fn-F8 hotkey to select the next mode.
Samsung N150 powered by Voyager 12.04 (Xubuntu)
Brightness control issue with 12.04 LTS : look at this topic viewtopic.php?p=5753#p5753

Kizikhi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 04/04/2011, 13:41

Re: fans always on

Postby Kizikhi » 06/04/2011, 14:39

Woulouf wrote:
Kizikhi wrote:No such a thing? Ok, then what is it? - Options: normal | silent | speed | cycle | hotkey | status


You've got already the answer :
It's just a convenient function used by the Fn-F8 hotkey to select the next mode.

Aha, understood. Thanks a lot for this information. Then it works properly by itself, thank you very much for your work. I don't even know what I would do without your program. :)


Return to “Linux On My Samsung”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests