Any progress on 11.04?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
Jnix

Re: Any progress on 11.04?

Post by Jnix »

Having spent a couple of hours prodding around trying to find the root of the problem, I think I am a little closer.

On the first login (before restarting gdm), where brightness cannot be changed using the Fn+up/down shortcut (but can using setpci), I did the follwing:

Code: Select all

# rmmod samsung_backlight
# modprobe samsung_backlight debug=1
I followed the output of dmesg after trying to modify the backlight brightness. The relevant output would be

Set brightness level 0 (hw 10)
Brightness power 0
regardless of the level displayed in the notification bar on the Unity desktop. Repeated pressing of the Fn+Up/Down key shortcut would give the same dmesg output.

Restarting gdm and logging back in (brightness can now be changed), I can now set the brightness levels using the shortcut keys, but the dmesg output (with samsung_backlight loaded with the debug=1 option) is different:

Set brightness level 3 (hw 102)
Brightness power 0
The level number changes up and down in response to the keyboard shortcuts, as does the hw number.

In both cases the driver responds to the shortcut, but only once gdm has been restarted do the level and hw numbers vary and the brightness actually change.

My coding skills aren't up to taking a look at the driver source myself, but does anyone have any ideas regarding this?
lorebett

Post by lorebett »

Jnix wrote:I posted this on another thread, but thought it would be relevant here. I have a weird problem in that on my Samsung N150 Plus, with Natty (64-bit). I have voRia's ppa with samsung_backlight and samsung_tools installed. When I first boot up my netbook and then log in to the unity desktop, the brightness level cannot be adjusted with the function keys, though the on screen notification for brightness changes appears in the top right of the screen. If I log out of the session, though, I can then change the screen brightness. This ability to change the screen brightness remains when I log back in!

Has anyone else experienced this?
Hi

I've just upgraded to Kubuntu Natty from Kubuntu Maverik where everything was working fine with voria brightness tools...

now, the brightness level cannot be adjusted with the function keys, though the on screen notification for brightness changes appears (and I'm using voria ppa with the samsung tools).

I've also tried to edit '/etc/modprobe.d/samsung-backlight.conf' and comment out the line starting with options, then reboot, but nothing changes...

Nothing changes even if I log out and then log back in...

any clue please?
Not changing the brightness make the system unusable on battery since then the level is either basically dark or full bright... :(

thanks in advance
lorebett

Post by lorebett »

CaptnDifool

Post by CaptnDifool »

Here are the state of my Samsung RV520 (Natty, Xubuntu64)

Nvidia GeForce GT 520M with "recommended" nvidia driver.

Backlight do nothing, also no screen notes, that the Fn-Keys are working. :(

If I boot regular with AC-Power, backlight is 100%, but after resume from standby, the backlight is reduced systemwide. Only rebooting brings it back to 100%.

wifi F9 runs well, but the blue light is permanently "on". Speaker volume works also like backlight off "F5".

I might, that the config between ACPI, nvidia-driver and samsung-backlight has misunderstandings?