Anyone successful with wireless on an N220 out of the box?

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
Andy3142

Anyone successful with wireless on an N220 out of the box?

Post by Andy3142 »

I am a total Linux virgin, but determined to install some distro or other on my European version Samsung N220 netbook with Realtek RTL8192 wireless network controller or die in the attempt. So far the latter seems a possibility! - as I've tried Bodhi, Mint, Knoppix, Easypeasy and Funduntu without success. With every one of these, the wireless network is a complete fail. (Bodhi worked fine the first time I've tried it, but on re-test is now a fail.)

I gather there is a problem with the wireless drivers and I willing to learn enough Linux to tackle that, however, I would much rather tackle some different problem and have the wireless work. So my question is, has anybody installed any distro on a European N220 and had the wireless function OK right from T=0? If so, please please please what distro is that?!

Note, from what I've read in other forums the US N220 has another network controller so it has to be an N220 with the RTL8192 chipset.

Many thanks

Andy
Andy3142

Re: Anyone successful with wireless on an N220 out of the bo

Post by Andy3142 »

Lubunu works!! I tried 15 or 20 distros, good fun, and the ones that worked were either pure Ubuntu or net-book friendly Lubuntu. The netbook works like a dream and I am very happy, thank you Linux!
leon-1

Re: Anyone successful with wireless on an N220 out of the bo

Post by leon-1 »

Just as a bit of info, ubuntu, kubuntu and PCLinuxOS 2013 all work on a N220 without having to mess with anything. I currently run an N220 with Kubuntu 12.04LTS and PCLinuxOS 2013 in dual boot and it has no problems with either (infact the only issue was getting the thing to dual boot).