NC10 Temperature

Discussions about Linux installation and configuration on Samsung laptops
Accused187

NC10 Temperature

Post by Accused187 »

First, I'd like to say a big thank you to voRia for compiling the repository for the NC10, it works great.

I'm not sure what other people's temperatures are when they are running the NC10. I've found that idling on Ubuntu my temp sits at around 43 C, and it peaks at around 49 - 52 C when I'm doing multi-tasking such as surfing, watching videos/listening to music, IMing, etc. It came to my attention when the area just to the top right of the touchpad was warm to the touch, and when I previously used XP, I hadn't noticed this happening. I was wondering if this was normal or is my temperature a little high? If so, what can I do to help lower it?

Just a little info: I'm obtaining my temperature just by typing 'acpi -V' in the terminal. I'm running Intrepid from voRia's repository, and have the 04CA BIOS (if that has any effect).

Thanks,

Ben
voria
Administrator
Administrator

RE: NC10 Temperature

Post by voria »

I have exactly the same values on my NC10.
Though I don't know if there is any difference with windows xp, never tested it. :P
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
Accused187

Post by Accused187 »

'voRia' pid='642' dateline='1239182043' wrote: I have exactly the same values on my NC10.
Though I don't know if there is any difference with windows xp, never tested it. :P
Oh ok, well its good to know that its not just me with these temps. I'll have to do some more investigating for XP and see what I come up with.
voria
Administrator
Administrator

Post by voria »

Let us know if there is any difference!
I can't do any test with windows xp because I completely removed it :P
Please consider a little donation to keep the 'Linux On My Samsung' project up and running. Thank you!
kadrach

Post by kadrach »

The average temperature values vary with the used CPU speed.

Are you using frequency scaling? I mostly use the ondemand governor, which lets the cpu run at 800mhz most of the time. In that case, CPU temperatures vary around ~50°C.

Playing h264 video usually causes the cpu to run at full speed, the temperature increases slightly.

Something else: the nc10 supports a quiet fan mode which lets you decide whether to run the fan continuously at low speed or at higher speed only when needed. I do not have windows, so I can't try out what windows does (windows usually overrides the bios settings for this)
Accused187

Post by Accused187 »

After messing around a bit in Windows, I found that the temperatures remained relatively the same, when idle it sat at about 43 C and when I was doing my regular tasks it rose to around 50 C. I think the heat on the top I'm feeling occurs from the HDD when there is continuous read/write (I notice it when downloading large files both in Ubuntu and Windows). Otherwise the temperatures seem to be the same for me all around.

This was primarily my only concern I found when running Ubuntu, but now I feel comfortable moving exclusively to Ubuntu and removing Windows :-).

@kadrach: I'm not using any frequency scaling. The settings that came default on the NC10 are still there. I've left it untouched.

I did notice in Ubuntu that the fan runs on 'quiet' all of the time, and I can hear it once the temp breaks a certain point.